When trying to eat healthy, one of the many things that people struggle with is snacks. Preparing snacks that are healthy but also delicious can be tough, but they are out there. The following 4 snacks are really good for you but they taste pretty awesome too. They should not take you long to prepare at all, which is also a bonus if you lead a busy/active lifestyle.
1. Hummus and veggies
If you are one of the very few people out there who have not tried hummus, you are definitely missing out. This chickpea based spread is absolutely delicious and there are so many different flavors available. Use your hummus as a dip for some carrot stick/peppers or the vegetable of your choice. It is healthy but so delicious, that you are in danger of finishing it all in one go.
2. Banana and peanut butter
For a snack that comes in at under 250 calories, banana and peanut butter tastes like you are having a naughty treat. It’s full of protein so is great as a pre or post workout snack. Simply slice your banana length ways and spoon on top a few generous teaspoons of peanut butter. Crunchy or smooth, it’s down to what you prefer but the crunchy sort does give a little extra something to this snack. If you want to mix things up a little, add a little greek yogurt and blend this up into a mouth watering smoothie.
3. Cherry tomatoes with goat cheese topping
This is a snack that is something different from the usual and it uses different healthy ingredients to make a delicious snack. To prepare this, simply get a few cherry tomatoes and half them length ways. Add a little salt and pepper to flavor, before smearing each one with a 1/4 teaspoon of goats cheese (you can opt for feta or cottage if you are not keen on goats cheese). If you are hosting some kind of party but want there to be a healthy spread on the table for people to eat from, this would be the perfect accompaniment.
4. Chocolate chunk and walnut oatmeal cookies
This next idea does require a small amount of cooking but the end result is worth it! For those days when all you want to do is eat cookies, well now you can but with none of the guilt that usually comes with it.
You will need:
- 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of regular flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup of oats
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 3 ounces of 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F before melting the butter in a saucepan.
- Once melted, add the brown sugar and stir until smooth.
- Combine the two different flours, baking soda, salt and oats in a bowl.
- Add in the butter mixture, egg and vanilla extract before stirring.
- Fold in the walnuts and the chocolate chunks before mixing well.
- Carefully spoon the mixture onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for the perfect healthy cookie.